Saturday, March 17, 2012

A Pleasant Review! Howard Lovecraft-and the-Undersea Kingdom

Howard Lovecraft
-and the-
Undersea Kingdom

Written by-Bruce Brown and Dwight L. Macpherson
Art by- Thomas Boatwright
Letters by- E.T. Dollman
Cover Art by- Erik Fokkens










So if you managed to catch my mistake on Twitter tonight you'll notice that I mentioned the wrong book before I corrected myself. I mentioned a book titled Howard Lovecraft-and the-Frozen kingdom. I accidentally said that I was reviewing that book instead of this one, Howard Lovecraft -and the-Undersea Kingdom. There's a reason for that mistake. You see... when Bruce asked me to review a couple of his books I was not only intrigued and happy, but eager to read some new items in the comic book world. I first read Clay County (you can find the pleasant review here.) and I was so blown away by the book that I quickly dove into the Undersea Kingdom immediately after. As I was reading I became so excited about the work in my hands that I decided to stop and do some more research on Bruce Brown. Then I discovered that there was another book, Howard Lovecraft-and the-Frozen Kingdom, which I also enjoyed. So naturally, I had both books on my mind.

This cover absolutely brings home the point of these books, in my opinion. A truly beautiful cover with deep colors, unique monsters, set in a unique world. There's mystery and there's horror behind Howard in the depths behind him. Not to mention that large tentacled creature standing guard over the child. All of which btw..is under water! This cover is as unique and thought provoking as the book itself. The ocean has always been a place that leaves me in awe and this cover captures the things that make the ocean such a powerful place. The deep vastness of the cold dark ocean grips my mind with sensations of fear and dread. I think it's a human thing...Anyway, you put a child in there with some creepy monsters and you now have my complete and undivided attention!

So I start reading this book and I have the feelings of a child. For a second I remembered what it is was like when I was a child and yet behind all that nostalgia that these pictures brought me, I still had much trepidation for the young Howard.

Then the story really begins! And it's awesome!

I wouldn't call the predicament that Howard is in a total nightmare, I would describe the situation as being grim with the anxiousness of a nightmare. Yet I almost feel like young Howard has some control. If you add those things together you'll find it makes this story completely unpredictable. It's so imaginative and it's all perceived through the eyes of a child. So you must understand by this point that the possibilities are truly endless and the dangers are infinitely limitless. That realization had me excited and it was at this point precisely, that I stopped reading and started looking up Bruce and found the "Frozen Kingdom". Which I bought right away.

But this isn't about that book it's about this one!

Right, so back on track! So I continue reading and soon I'm not only captivated by the story but I'm head over heels in love with the art. This is the type of art that I really enjoy in books. Especially in books like this one, one that's meant for both kids and adults alike...Unique and precise.

The art is not only a bit dark, but at times it speaks more than the words on the page. This is a quality that most comics lack these days. A glance at the panel and you'll notice the environment, the darkness, and most importantly the feelings of the characters. It brings it all together like an expertly crafted pizza. The style and the attention to detail make me feel like I made a wise decision with my money.

It's really a beautiful book and when I let my daughter read it she also commented on the art 5 pages in. Her  words were " This is so cool!!" She was excited because she too could see the adventure in the art. The panels flowed nicely and like I said earlier the colors were deep and complex.

The story itself was great, obviously, I loved it. It was pure and in my opinion perfect for kids. The whole approach was that of a child. ( Wow Kyle..that was deep ) That's the only way I can describe the writing. The reader knows as much as Howard knows and Howard is a child. So we see things the way he sees it, the way a kid would see it. Including Howard's fears and his hopes. There were plenty of twists and turns to keep me flipping the pages and I remember wondering at one point how this was all going to play out in the end. All signs of a great story.

When I was done I decided that it was appropriate for my daughter and I bought her a copy on comixology. When she was done she also commented on how cool the story was and started to try and explain it to her younger brother and sister. She's 8 going on 9 this October.

So how about a final thought for the conclusion of this Pleasant Review?

Hey, check out the Jerry Springer of comics over here...

This was another home run by Bruce Brown and his team and I'm glad to not only say I read them, but that I own them. A perfect book for Adults who are into a non-gory adventure and children who are looking for an imaginative thrill ride. I see a very successful future ahead of Bruce and his team and wish them nothing but the best. I will surely keep my eyes peeled and purchase anything he comes out with. I think the world needs more stories like this. Especially ones that not only capture us adults, but our kids too. Our kids tend to live a stressful life at such a young age and it's unnecessary. These books help relieve that stress for them too. And even we can become kids again with the help of a book like this.

So until next time...SMILE!!!

(I HAVE NEVER AND WILL NEVER BE PAYED FOR A REVIEW. BECAUSE I'M COOL LIKE THAT.)


No comments:

Post a Comment