Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Heroes ( The Creators and The LCS )


We all have them, a personal hero, maybe a favorite athlete, a teacher who inspired you, maybe it's your mom-maybe it's your dad. Maybe, those aren't the heroes I'm talking about. O_o .... COMIC BOOK HEROES!

No, not the superheroes-- the Creators and the LCS!

That's who gets this blog post...The Creators and The Comic Shop Owners!

I've had the pleasure of reading some really great stuff the past couple weeks. -Smiles- Comics, I love em and I know you do too! We cannot live without them. They have been there for some of us since we were children. Through every cruel girlfriend or boyfriend, through all the criticisms, the highs,and the lows. Come to think of it, pretty much through just about everything our comics have been there when we needed them.

Sometimes we put them away for years or sometimes months...only to find them there waiting for us when we return. Glossy cover...detailed pages.... all ready to catch us and swoop us away to wherever the hell we want to go. A comic is a very magical and sacred object to us. Yeah, to some they might just be jumbled of words and pictures, but we know comics are so much more!

 I don't thank DC and or Marvel for these things...I don't thank them for providing me with hours of comic enjoyment...I thank the creators and the shop owners. The shop owners who till the soil and lay down strong roots in neighborhoods... Cultivating the fans which in this case are the water that feeds the tree. A tree that will eventually produce a hefty bounty of sweet comic produce <---That's the Creators. The LCS and Creators of comics deserve the royal treatment from us fans. They are the real heroes of our world. They are the superstars! In my eyes, when I get a RT from my favorite creator it might have well been from Tom Brady. Except Brahm Revel's RT is worth a shit load more tome than a RT from Tom Brady. I love football, but I love comics way more. This is how it should be. We should embrace our heroes and spread their good name so we can see more of what they can do.

But we need to be real with ourselves..we cant have it all for nothing. We cant promote our favorites and support Creator Owned books and expect to pay nearly nothing for them. Unfortunately money rules the world and it can dictate or control the people involved. We are all just trying to survive. And it's the LCS and The Creators that risk the most and unfortunately... the payoff isn't always there for them.

How much risk is there involved when a man or woman decides to stand up and say,"You know what...I'm going to pursue my dream because this is all I want to do." ? Answer= A ton! I bet such a decision comes with a ton of scrutiny for the would be creator or the would be shop owner. Example A: " Selling wha??? Comics??? For a living?" or Example B:" Your spending your time making a wha??? A comic book? I thought you grew out of that?" all very sad and mean responses that I bet happen all too often when the Creator or LCS decide to pursue their dream. The skepticism is not only real but it merits a tiny bit of truth. The odds are so heavily stacked against these heroic people... These people who are more than fans... The people who are the roots and fruit of the comic industry. I bet each person that dared to make their dream a reality can admit to receiving some pretty harsh criticisms... even from the closest relatives. It's time us fans acknowledge the risks and take more risks ourselves by buying more creator owned comics and by investing in the growth of this section of the comic industry.

Perspective! No one creates comics or opens up a comic shop to be super rich. Sure, some people may have that particular motive, and sure to some it can be the sole reason to embark on such an endeavor , but I can guarantee those few have already closed there doors or decided to give up. The Creators and or shop owners that do it out of love will always tell you it was never really about the money. . Just another reason why they are heroes! I can only hope that my children will have something that can inspire the same sort of courage and passion that these men and women possess.

I'm sure the ups and down are epic for the creator and Shop Owner...And yet they persevere...Just like our favorite super heroes on the pages of our beloved comics!


The Creators and Licensed Comic Shops are like our parents in this comic universe. We reap the benefits of all their sacrifice and hard work. Very rarely will these creators be recognized for the amount of talent that they pour into panel after panel...and better yet, never will the brick and mortar shop get the credit that it deserves as the rock of the industry. Oh how I dream of a world where shops begin to pop up left and right, all across the United States

It's time the fans get together and brainstorm ways to help the comic industry grow. Maybe somehow we can alleviate some of the burden and or risks associated with opening a comic shop or creating a comic.

Brainstorming and feedback are the tools to success!

So to close this I want to be the first one to share an idea. Proof that it doesn't matter how ridiculous or improbable the idea may be, all that matters is that we have our eyes open for new ways to help nourish the comic tree. Not just because times are tough...but because of principle! We love comics and the people who sacrifice so mush to bring them to us and create them for us should be taken care of by us. I'd like to see the money go directly to these heroes,opposed to just giving my money to the "Boss" who bathes in money.

So here is my idea and pitch

 Imagine if the payoff was there at the end of selling your own creator owned book while promoting the LCS.. Imagine an extra incentive to make a book that would not only provide a cash prize but a year long promotion of your name and work.

The creators need to have their names put out there so that recognition may come to it. They are fighting Goliath in that respect. So it led me to thinking some more..( don't worry I'll stop thinking soon before I hurt myself..) How do we bring in new and old blood alike into an LCS while promoting Creators?

I'm not naive enough to think that this question hasn't been asked or that my tiny brain could come up with the answer, I just know it's a huge question that needs answering. It needs ideas... So without further delay here is my idea for that very question.

Again these are just open thoughts
Yearly Comic Cup
  • Every Comic fan pays a one time fee for the right to vote in this tournament.
  • Any single creator or team of creators can compose a series
  • Creators enter for free but give the LCS a deal on the books
  • I think it'd be fair to charge a bit more for these books
  • The fan then goes to the LCS buys the book and takes home a rating card that is dropped back off at their local LCS before a deadline
  • This goes on for some time
  • There is a preliminary tally to set up a tournament tree
  • Then the last couple books in each series all released on the same day to face off, single elimination style
  • Eventually it's the last two books..the winner gets a trophy, even more name recognition and a monetary prize
I completely understand that this may be unreasonable and a severely flawed idea..I don't care. It's just an idea. I think if something like this could be accomplished the industry would grow and flourish. The competitive nature of humans, the privilege to vote, and the excitement of a yearly tournament drawing down would be exciting. The creators don't have to make the books for the sole purpose of winning the tourney..it's just an extra incentive. Maybe it will keep the pencil in the hand of the creator who's thinking of replacing that pencil with a hammer.

Again just a thought..I love comics and want the world to love them too. So until next time my friends...SMILE!

No comments:

Post a Comment