Friday, March 9, 2012

A Pleasant Review! Clay County



 A Pleasant Review
Clay County By
Bruce Brown, Chip Christell, and Adam Mrozowski





Clay County! I liked so many things about this book that I almost have no clue where to start. I knew writing a Pleasant Review for this was going to be difficult but I didn't realize exactly how difficult it would be. It has really made me re-evaluate how I'm going to do reviews in the future. My main concern was that I wasn't going to be able to give this book the justice it deserved. A book that I highly recommend to anyone who's of age to read it.

 You all know I stay away from negative comments about this or that, but this book was so well done that I feel I must come out and admit that there was not one thing I did not like. Something that has happened only a few times! So in the future, unless I mention that there wasn't a single thing that I didn't like, it's safe to assume that there was something that I did not like. Not something strong enough to make me not like or recommend the book though, because as you know, if I don't like a book I wont review it. End of story. Life is just too damn short to be writing about things you don't like...or read about things other people don't like!

 So here we go!!
So there I was, looking over the cover and the first thing I say to myself is "I like how this guy did this".  Obviously the first thing I noticed was the huge ass UFO hovering above the trees. Then I noticed the stars ....then the truck and the highway sign reading "Clay County Next Exit"...then it's the beer cans on the road. lol At that point I really didn't know what type of story to expect behind this well crafted cover. But I was pumped at having the opportunity to find out.

I'm reading the first couple pages and the characters really came to life. The characters, their traits, and the dialogue sucked me in and would not let me go until I reached the back cover. I want to say everything about this book was remarkable and just leave it at that, but I'm trying to be exact for the sole purpose that this is supposed to be a review.

 The dialogue would have to be the tip of the spear for me. The conversations were not only entertaining but hysterically funny. If you can even imagine a takeover of planet earth by aliens, who are now occupying us for a resource, and imposing a form of tyranny over the people during this process, you will easily understand the gravity of the situation presented. An extremely heavy situation that you'll find made extremely light by these incredibly funny characters. These guys are not only funny in each character's own way, but fun to laugh at. They seem very real at times and will probably remind you of someone you know or maybe even yourself. These guys had me laughing out loud more than once and left a smile on my face in between. So as with any great story, it was the characters that took me away from here and brought me to Clay County. For which I am very grateful. A+++

This story I would describe as a sci-fi comedy. To take it another step further, I would say it is the funniest sci-fi comedy I've read to date! Which is crazy because, I'm going to be honest, I wasn't really expecting that after a glance at the cover. To be fair though, I could never have expected to know how funny this book was going to be. As I started reading, I started laughing. Really! I also kept having the same thought reoccur in the back of my mind every once in awhile.. This would make an awesome movie..To me that's really the highest praise I can give a book. A praise that states more than what was written. Meaning, I loved Clay County so much that the book, while being perfect ( Yes, I said perfect!), wasn't enough for me. I hope to experience the same story in another way and more than once! This book is fun, funny, entertaining, creative, witty, and a must read. I think anyone who reads Clay County will agree with me entirely

You know I always stay away from describing too much about the plot of a book because I think I could never do it justice that way. That's regardless of a book I liked or didn't like. I just don't believe in it and I will keep the oath I made to myself before I started doing reviews. I'm not going to summarize a story..No way! But for the first time I have this itch in my mind that wants to tell you all these hilarious moments and quotes.. to tell you about this or that...but if you enjoyed something as much as I did this book, you would be resigned to say what I'm about to say to you now..You are just going to have to see for yourself. 

But I will try and convince you that this is worthwhile in other ways..

If I gave stars as ratings this would surely get a 5 and even though I've read the book digitally, I feel like that's not enough for me. I want to and will own this book! I will read it probably 3 or 4 more times and the collector in me will probably buy two copies, just so I have an unread copy in 'new' condition and hopefully that copy will be signed one day. I have another little tidbit that may help explain just how much I enjoyed this book.. when I do get my hands on a printed version of Clay County, it's going on my top shelf next to my 9 other favorite graphic novels. Seriously!No joking! No exaggeration!

I would recommend Clay County to anyone who asks. I will probably even buy a couple this upcoming Christmas to give away as gifts... Why am I telling you this? Well, I'm hoping it shows not only how much I loved this book, but how confident I am that anyone who reads it will thoroughly enjoy it and be grateful for to having read it. It takes you away my friends...to Clay County!

These are high praises and rightfully so! This book deserves every single one of them.
 I'm also going to post my notes that I used to help me write this because I'm struggling to give Clay County the praise it deserves. Like I said in the beginning, this has been hard to write because I haven't done a review on a book I enjoyed this much. It takes a lot of effort to not keep repeating the same praises over and over, again and again. This is a book that needs to be read to completely understand the level of awesomeness that it contains.

After you've read this book please drop me a line and share your thoughts. I'm excited to see your reactions to this extremely funny book named Clay County! So HERE is the link to Clay County on Amazon..it's only ten bucks!

I'm never paid for writing these reviews, I do it strictly out of love for comics. Also, I have not and will never sign up for any kickback from amazon or any other site. Just so you know that I'm not sending you to a link for my own gain. Never will I be that guy!

So until next time my friends, Smile!


Here are the notes I promised
  • Art was as fun as the story itself, the two meshed like peanut butter and jelly
  • Characters had life to them!
  • Reactions and dialogue force literal Laugh Out Louds
  • Hilarious... I wonder if their will be a movie or animated series in the future?..I hope so
  • Great gift for other comic lovers
  • Very cinematic! The panels were spot on
  • Story was flawless throughout- no loose ends
  • Must own and must read
  • Find more stories by these guys
  • Really cool cover
  • Flawless...if I gave ratings it'd be 5 freakin stars
  • This book easily finds a place in my top ten graphic novels all time


No comments:

Post a Comment